Thursday, April 18, 2013

Rewarding Good Behavior

I used to reward my son's good behavior or lack of bad behavior with screen time. I would let him play my Ipad, Iphone, Nintendo etc. Unfortunately, I found it very easy to give him one of these things and have him sit quietly and let me get stuff done around the house. However, he does not know how to have this screen time in moderation and it took a meltdown at Tball practice to realize that I had to cut him off and come up with something new.

Instead of rewarding him after EVERY good thing he does I decided to let him earn something after multiple times of being good. I made a sticker chart for  him that has 5 rows and the numbers 1-10 on each row. Now he gets a sticker for things like eating all his dinner (which is a struggle most of the time), not crying at TBall practice, cleaning his room etc. I don't punish him for bad behavior by taking OFF stickers, he gets time-outs for that. This chart is strictly for positive reinforcement. It is working out great!!



 
Materials:
Small poster board
Computer print outs of rewards
Stickers for rewards
Stickers for title (I used a Cricut to cut them out)
Sharpie
 
Directions:
1) Make title at the top. You can name it whatever you want. "Good Job ____" worked for me.
2) Use sharpie to make lines for 5 rows
3) Use Google Images to search for pictures for your rewards. Save them to your computer, then insert them all on a Word document to print them out. You can adjust the size on Word.
4) Cut out the pictures and place them at the end of each row.
5) Hand write or use scrapbooking stickers if you want to be fancy to put in the number of stickers you want your child to get before getting their reward. I did 10.
6) Give your kid a sticker to start off and watch how fast they want to help you out or clean their room to get more stickers! 
 
1.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment